Tuesday, February 26, 2008

2 New Recipes I've Tried & Loved!

Both of these yummy recipes I got from my friend Emily. (She provides me with all my new recipes) They are both wonderful! The pork recipe makes a ton, so have some friends over or plan on leftovers if you make it. Also, could there be a better combo for me....meat and coke?

The potato soup one is much easier than a potato soup recipe I usually make, so I was happy to find a easier one that's different, but just as yummy. Both these great recipes will now be in my dinner rotation!

Just Like Café Rio Pork
5-6 lb. Pork Roast
1 Tbs. Cumin
1 Cup Brown Sugar
12 oz. Bottle La Victoria Taco Sauce
20 oz. Bottle of Coke

Cook Roast on low for 12 hours in crock pot with water added halfway up meat. After 12 hrs. drain water and add all of the ingredients listed above and continue cooking for 4 hours. Then shred the meat and continue cooking for 2 more hours. Eat in a flour tortilla with rice, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole. Or put your favorite lettuce on a plate and pile with pork and all your favorite salad fixings.


Cheesy Cream of Potato Soup
3 cans chicken broth
6 cups peeled, thinly sliced potatoes
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 (2cup) package cheese
16oz. heavy whip cream
1 ½ cups milk
3 Tbs. corn starch

Bring broth, salt, pepper, and potatoes to a boil. Simmer for 15 mins. or until potatoes are tender but not mushy. Then add whip cream and milk to broth and potatoes. Bring all ingredients back up to a simmer. Then add cheese. Stir until melted. Then in a separate cup, add 3 Tbs. cornstarch and a little bit of water to make a smooth paste. Add to the simmering soup. You might need to add more cornstarch and water until you have a thickened consistency you are happy with. Then sprinkle with real bacon bits or some cooked crumbled bacon. Also top with green onion and cheese if desired.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for the props!

Hilary said...

Props! That word makes me giggle!

I too love Emily's Cafe Rio recipe... YUM.

And, I'm trying the soup tonight! THanks!