Monday, March 31, 2008

Advice Please!



So now that DJ is one, I know that it's time to start weening him off the bottle. The only problem is that I can't get him to take a sippy cup. I have tried many different types of sippy cups and he takes a sip and then spits it out. It's like he can't figure out how to drink out of a sippy. I introduced the sippy about 6 months ago and tried giving it to him at mealtimes. After six months, he still isn't interested and just makes a huge mess. Any suggestions from all you professional mom's would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Just don't stress too much or you could be a mean Mom like me and have 3 days of heck and take his bottle away and he might get thirsty enough to drink out of a sippy! But he just turned one, maybe give him a couple more months, you could just start by taking one bottle feeding away a day and try the sippy instead. Good Luck...

Anonymous said...

I dunno Christine.......... Carter has had a sippy @ meal times for the past couple months and he likes it (lucky me). I never let him have a bottle at meal times, only for naps/night time (to soothe). Like Emily said though, don't stress about it, there's really no big hurry to wean him on a deadline. My UT Pediatrician said he let his kids have bottles until they were 2 just so could rock them (like a baby) at bedtime because they grow up so fast! He told me not to sweat it and the kid will adjust eventually.......... hang in there!

Jen said...

I wouldn't worry about giving up the bottle just yet. However, I started Jacob on the sippy cup by putting juice in it. I use bottles for milk and the sippy's for juice. Lots of times it's so tasty they'll figure out how to suck so they can get it out. Also, try the nubby, it's the most like a nipple, so it's easiest to start with that one.

Anonymous said...

ginny has sippy cups with a soft top similar to a bottle top I got them at target and they did the trick for her good luck

Angie Hansen said...

That's interesting that DJ is having a hard time with his sippy because so are the twins. It seems like they just cant figure it out. Isabella will suck some milk out and then just let it run out of her mouth with the most disgusted look on her face and Max will just smile and bit on it. I don't know either. I have tried every kind of sippy and juice, milk, water it doesn't matter. Hopefully they will just get the hang of it.